Day 8 Out and About……Running Around

Today was going to be another of those days chasing down paperwork and getting more forms completed at government departments. To start the day off, I spent 45 minutes on hold with the Ministry of Transport trying to find out why I had yet to receive the letter regarding my medical. My transportation medical needed to go to a review panel in Toronto due to the medication I am taking for my PTSD. I was told everything was approved over the phone and that I should expect a letter shortly. Well, after the long wait on the phone and talking to a real person, it seems as though they do not actually send out a letter but make a note on the file for my license.


Next, it was office to the MOT to get a copy of my driver abstract for my application for Heavy Equipment school. Though service was a little bit quicker in person, I still had to wait 25 minutes to talk with a service person to get a sheet a single sheet of paper. There was a time that we could this at one of the many MOT kiosks that were located throughout the city. About two years ago I believe, the provincial government had to remove the kiosks because apparently people could hack into them and steal personal information. It is too bad that these kiosks had to be removed as they were very convenient.

Rather than go to the next government office I needed to, I decided it was time get my summer hair cut. For most of the year, my hair cut consists of number 4 buzz blade on top and three on the sides. When the warmer weather hits, I drop it down to number two on top and one on the sides. I swear I am one of those guys whose hair line is moving forward, plus my hair is sure thick. Every person who has cut my hair has commented on how thick my hair is, thus the reason for getting it cut short and every four to five weeks.


With the super stealth hair cut complete, it was off to the Ottawa Police Service to get a criminal record check done as a lot of potential employers require this document as part of the application process. I thought it would be best to get this done sooner than later because apparently, there is a wait time of up to three weeks. Well, lucky me, I was the only person in line so they did my back ground check right then and there. Having worked at the airport this past winter, I required a CSIS check which is much more in-depth that a criminal record check. I wish I could have gotten a hold of that paperwork as it would have saved me $47 but that is something that neither CSIS or the Airport Authority will release to me.

The last item of the day was to drop by and visit the folks. I know that I have not visited as much as I should have over the last little while but when I get in one of those funk, I just do not feel like visiting with anyone. I just want to do my thing and carry on as normal. I will be visiting more often as time permits between now and when school starts.

So the day was spent doing a lot of waiting and go around town but all in all it was a productive day. I hope that this is the last of the paperwork I need to do for school but knowing how government agencies work, I am sure there will be a couple of more surprises along the way.

This is the May long weekend, or Victoria Day Weekend here in Canada and I do not plan to do too much other than some spring cleaning that is long over due. I will try to get in a bike ride or run at some point but other than that I plan to just veg.

Have a safe and enjoyable weekend everyone.


About fatguy2triguy

On the morning of Dec 21,2010, I woke up not feeling so good. The next thing I knew I was at the Ottawa General Hospital Emergency Room thinking I was having a heart attack. Luckily it was not a heart attack but a chest virus. This event scared me enough to get serious about my health. In the past two years, I have lost 80 lbs, started running races and completed my first half marathon. Though I did not reach my goal of losing 100lbs in two years, I am very happy at my progress so far. I am sure I would have reach my goal if it had not been for a few health challenges in 2012 such as emergency gallbladder surgery followed by a nasty post op infection. At one point we thought the infection was all cleared up but it was not and it went deep. That led to yet another health scare where my doctors were checking to see if I had ALS, MS, Huntington’s or other muscle diseases. It turned out to be a continuation of the post op infection. All this stopped me from training at a level that would have helped me reach my goal. I guess it is true, that what does not kill us, will only make us stronger. I am on the mend now and things are slowly getting back to normal, well as normal as I will ever be. Now it is time to get focused again on my health goals. When I started on this journey, my ultimate goal was to complete the IRONMAN in Kona, Hawaii. That is still a long-term goal that I want to complete by 2015, in the short term I plan to complete IRONMAN Miami 2013. Another goal for the coming year, is not only to complete losing the 100lbs that I started but also to lose another 20lbs on top on that with a goal of being 180lbs by the time I do IRONMAN Miami. Follow me on my journey.

3 responses to “Day 8 Out and About……Running Around”

  1. bgddyjim says :

    Made me tired just reading that post.

  2. Mountainstroh (Tony) says :

    But you didn’t mention… Did you PASS the background check?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: